The body was spotted by another vessel and was lifted from the water this afternoon. It was then taken to Eastbourne, Sussex Police have said. The man’s identity has not been revealed, nor his nationality.
The force said: “On Saturday afternoon, September 11, the body of a man was recovered by HM Coastguard in mid-English Channel, following information from a passing vessel, and was brought to Eastbourne.
“Enquiries are underway and no further information is available at this time.”
This discovery comes after migrant crossings hit another record high as at least 1,000 men, women and children were spotted making the dangerous journey to the UK last week.
The figure – which is based on witness sightings by Sky News – is believed to be the highest figure and surpassed the previous record of 828 on August 21.
A lifeboat full of migrants was pictured arriving in Kent after picking them up from a dinghy out at sea.
Another dinghy was also shown pulled up on the shingle with discarded lifejackets.
Officials were seen leading passengers away and one woman was holding onto a small baby.
Three large coaches had parked up on a stretch of land and were apparently ready to drive the migrants away.
Last Sunday marked the first time in two weeks a small boat crossed the Channel.
Some 158 people – including five children – made the perilous journey and arrived on Dover from four boats.
This brought the total number of people who have crossed the Channel this year to more than 12,500.
Figures this year have already surpassed last year’s annual total of 8,417.
MORE TO FOLLOW…