Conor McGregor’s eagerly anticipated trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier ‘is on the brink of being agreed for UFC 264 on July 10’, with the Irishman out for revenge after suffering brutal defeat in his comeback bout earlier this year
- Conor McGregor’s UFC comeback was ruined by Dustin Poirier back in January
- The Irishman will get another shot at the American in a trilogy fight this summer
- A deal for McGregor vs Poirier III is close to being confirmed for UFC 264 in July
- Lightweight star Poirier seemed to confirm the date in a tweet over the weekend
- Dana White wants the fight to headline the event at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena
Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are set to meet in the octagon for the third and final time at UFC 264 on July 10, according to ESPN.
Talks over a blockbuster third fight between the pair have been ongoing since Poirier ruined McGregor’s latest comeback with a shock KO win in January.
But the Irishman will have a chance to avenge that loss – and ensure he triumphs 2-1 in the trilogy – this summer, with the event likely to take place in Las Vegas.
Conor McGregor (left) and Dustin Poirier (right) are set for a trilogy fight at UFC 264 on July 10
McGregor suffered a shock knockout defeat in his comeback bout with Poirier on January 23
ESPN claim that although the fight has not yet been fully agreed, an official announcement could be made as soon as this week.
McGregor won his first fight with Poirier at 145lbs in 2014, but suffered a second round knockout during the rematch at 155lbs earlier this year.
The trilogy bout is expected to be a five-round main event at 155lbs at UFC 264, and there is hope that fans will be able to attend.
Poirier has his arm raised after avenging his 2014 defeat by McGregor on UFC’s Fight Island
UFC president Dana White hopes to host the event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Asked recently if he thought McGregor vs Poirier would headline the show, White said: ‘I hope so. We all hope so.’
Poirier has also dropped a major hint that a deal is almost done over the weekend, tweeting ‘July 10’ and a diamond emoji in reference to his nickname.
UFC had announced plans to crown a new lightweight champion after Khabib Nurmagomedov confirmed his permanent retirement, but Michael Chandler will take on Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.
Poirier took to social media on Sunday night to seemingly confirm the date for the third fight
UFC chief Dana White is hopeful McGregor vs Poirier III can headline UFC 264 in Las Vegas
White has confirmed that Poirier was offered the opportunity to fight for the belt, but snubbed it because he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.
The UFC supremo admitted earlier this month that McGregor is his favourite MMA star because ‘the world goes crazy when he puts on a show’ and claimed the Irishman was not completely focused on the challenge of Poirier in January.
White told BT Sport: ‘I don’t know if this is true. I mean, Conor McGregor is the only one who can answer this question.
‘I think Conor was overlooking Dustin, and (had a mindset) like, “let me get through this, so I can work on other things”.’