A total of 327 deaths registered in the week ending July 23 mentioned COVID-19 on the death certificate, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is up 50 percent on the previous week, and is the highest number since 362 deaths were registered in the week to April 16.
Deaths fell to just 84 in the week to June 11.
The latest figures reflect the impact of the third wave of COVID-19, which started in the UK in May and which led to a sharp increase in the number of new cases of coronavirus as well as a smaller rise in hospital patients.
The number of new cases has fallen in recent weeks, but this is yet to be reflected in the data for deaths, due to the length of time between someone getting COVID-19, becoming seriously ill and then dying.
While the number of deaths in the latest week is the highest for three months, it is still well below the level seen at the peak of the second wave.
In total, 8,433 deaths involving COVID-19 were registered in England and Wales in the week to January 29.
The total number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week to July 23 was 7.2 percent above the pre-pandemic five-year average, the ONS said.
JUST IN: ‘Butcher of Tehran’ sworn in as Iran’s President
The ONS figures cover deaths of care home residents in all settings, not just in care homes.
A total of 155,133 deaths have now occurred in the UK where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, the ONS said.
The highest number of deaths to occur on a single day was 1,484 on January 19.
During the first wave of the virus, the daily toll peaked at 1,461 deaths on April 8 2020.
Meanwhile, Boris Johnson faced claims his system for international travel is in “chaos” after proposals for a new “amber watchlist” category were abandoned.
The Prime Minister pledged to keep travel rules during the pandemic as simple as possible and senior sources ruled out the prospect of a new category.
It has also emerged that the head of the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC), which advises on the travel rules, has quietly left her post without a successor being appointed.
The Government had been considering the new watchlist for nations at risk of being moved into the red group which requires hotel quarantine on return for 10 days at a cost of £1,750 for an adult.
But after a backlash by Tory MPs, ministerial concerns and complaints from the travel industry, Government sources confirmed there would be “no amber watchlist”.
Government minister Gillian Keegan told Times Radio: “We have explored all options, looked at all options, but the most important thing is that the system is actually simple enough for people to understand.”