Dustin Poirier appears to confirm that his blockbuster trilogy bout with Conor McGregor will take place on July 10… just hours after UFC supremo Dana White had revealed plans for Las Vegas summer showdown
- Dustin Poirier is preparing for a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor later this year
- The UFC rivals are locked at 1-1 after the ‘Diamond’ beat the Irishman in January
- Poirier appeared to confirm that the third contest will take place on July 10
- UFC president Dana White revealed over the weekend that it will be in Las Vegas
Dustin Poirier appears to have indicated his trilogy fight with Conor McGregor is set to take place on July 10 this year.
The pair fought in a UFC 257 rematch in January of this year, with American pulling off a surprise victory over McGregor to gain revenge for the Irishman’s UFC 178 triumph back in September 2014.
Last January’s fight was McGregor’s return to the octagon after retiring last June and blamed the period of inactivity for the defeat, but immediately called for a trilogy fight and both competitors’ camps have been in negotiations ever since.
Dustin Poirier (left) appeared to confirm his trilogy fight with Conor McGregor (right) will take place on July 10
Poirier took to social media on Sunday night to seemingly confirm the fight date news
And Poirier took to Twitter on Sunday night to seemingly notify fans that the third contest with happen on July 10 later this year.
Over the weekend, UFC president Dana White himself confirmed that the trilogy fight is planned for Las Vegas over the summer.
It was reported that May was a potential time when the trilogy fight between McGregor and Poirier but reports from ESPN claimed that any chances of the fight taking place that month were dashed after an agreement between the two parties took longer than anticipated.
Poirier (right) beat McGregor earlier this year in the Irishman’s return from UFC retirement
UFC announced plans to crown a new lightweight champion after Khabib Nurmagomedov confirmed his permanent retirement – and Michael Chandler is set to take on Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.
And White has confirmed that Poirier was offered the opportunity, but instead snubbed it as he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.
When asked if UFC 264 could possibly take place at the T-Mobile in Vegas, White said: ‘I hope so, that’s the plan.’
When pressed on McGregor vs Poirier III potentially headlining the card, White added: ‘I hope so. We all hope so.’
UFC president Dana White (above) also confirmed a summer date for the trilogy fight this week
White, who admitted earlier this month that McGregor as his favourite MMA star as ‘the world goes crazy when he puts on a show’, claimed the Irishman was not completely focused on the challenge of ‘Diamond’ Poirier when they met last January.
The UFC supremo told BT Sport: ‘I don’t know if this is true. I mean, Conor McGregor is the only one who can answer this question.
‘I think Conor was overlooking Dustin, and (had a mindset) like, “let me get through this, so I can work on other things.”‘