John Barrowman has broken his silence following reports that his place on the Dancing On Ice judging panel is ‘hanging in the balance’ after he admitted to repeatedly exposing himself on Doctor Who and Torchwood’s sets.
The actor, 54, addressed his fans in a video shared on Instagram on Monday, saying: ‘I just want to say thank you very much to everybody who has reached out with the countless messages of support over the last few weeks.’
Speaking from the garden of his Palm Springs home, Barrowman added that he had been ‘touched’ by messages sent from those ‘standing by him’ and told his social media followers: ‘Hopefully we will be back together soon’.
Speaking out: John Barrowman, 54, has broken his silence in an Instagram video after it was reported that his place on the Dancing On Ice judging panel is ‘hanging in the balance’
He said in full: ‘Hi everybody it’s John here and I just want to say thank you very much to all of my fan family and everybody who has reached out with the countless messages of support over the last few weeks.
‘It has meant such a great deal to me and has really touched me to know that people are supporting me and standing by me and sending their love and all their appreciation and kind words.’
He signed off his message by saying: ‘Hopefully we will all be back together soon and I look forward to it. Much love and thank you.’
It was reported on Saturday that Barrowman’s place on the ice skating contest was hanging in the balance.
Addressing fans: The actor addressed his fans in a clip shared on Monday, saying: ‘I just want to say thank you to everybody who has reached out with messages of support over the weeks’
According to reports from The Sun, show bosses are said to feel they cannot have the actor return to the judging panel for the show later this year.
Earlier this month, Barrowman apologised for exposing himself repeatedly while filming the two sci-fi shows but insisted it was just ‘tomfoolery’.
A source speaking to the publication said: ‘Ever since allegations against John came to light, discussions have been ongoing over his future on the panel of Dancing On Ice.
‘But the feeling now is there is no way we can invite him back. ITV has shown they are prepared to act decisively when stars are accused of inappropriate behaviour. And it seems this situation will not be the exception to the rule.’
Apology: Earlier this month, Barrowman apologised for exposing himself repeatedly while filming the Doctor Who (pictured) and Torchwood but insisted it was just ‘tomfoolery’
However ITV has since confirmed a final decision is yet to be made regarding his immediate future on the show.
A spokesperson told MailOnline: ‘Any discussions regarding the 2022 series of Dancing on Ice are very premature. Production has yet to commence.’
This month, Barrowman told the Guardian his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment.
Ongoing discussions: It has been claimed that show bosses are said to feel they cannot have the actor return to the judging panel for the show later this year
‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ he said. ‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.’
His former co-star Noel Clarke was filmed making jokes about Barrowman, who played Captain Jack Harkness on both programmes, showing people his penis ‘every five seconds’ and ‘hitting it on everything’.
Last month, a video of Clarke emerged showing him on stage during a Doctor Who Q&A with fans where he joked about Barrowman’s alleged proclivity for getting his penis out on set.
Response: A source claimed: ‘ITV has shown they are prepared to act decisively when stars are accused of inappropriate behaviour’ (John pictured with Ashley Banjo, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean on the 2021 series)
Barrowman had apologised publicly after a similar incident on BBC Switch.
Clarke’s two female co-stars Annette Badland and Camille Coduri were seen as he uses microphone as a prop phallus, hitting them on their legs and even resting it on Camille’s shoulders, with viewers saying they were ‘squirming while watching’.
He said: ‘For the record, any men out there, do not try that at work. You will be fired and possibly go to jail.’
20 women have accused Clarke of sexual harassment, groping and bullying, with the claims levelled against him in The Guardian, with seven more women coming forward to do the same after the first report was published.
Explanation: This month, Barrowman said his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment
He has been accused of a range of inappropriate activities, including sexual harassment, unwanted touching or groping, sexually inappropriate behaviour and comments on set, professional misconduct, taking and sharing sexually explicit pictures and videos without consent, and bullying.
The actor has vehemently denied claims by women who accuse him of sexual harassment, groping and bullying between 2004 and 2019.
In his own statement, he said: ‘In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.
‘If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.
‘I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.’
The Guardian also reported Clarke categorically denied every allegation made against him with the exception of one, where he admitted he once made inappropriate comments about one woman, for which he later apologised.
According to the publication, his lawyers wrote a 29-page letter in which they said Clarke denies all of the other allegations from all 20 women.
Reveal: His former co-star Noel Clarke (pictured) was filmed making jokes about Barrowman showing people his penis ‘every five seconds’ on Doctor Who and Torchwood