Man in 12-hour standoff with armed police at NHS hospital



    The suspect in his 60s was finally detained outside Royal Liverpool Hospital at around 10.20am. Police were called to an incident there at 10.30pm last night and have since closed roads around the large facility. Patients there were told to stay inside and away from the doors.

    Photos show a heavy police presence on roads around the hospital, which is in the centre of Liverpool.

    “It was standstill traffic on Low Hill this morning, so definitely allow extra time if you’re travelling in the area today,” one witness told Liverpool Echo.

    “A police officer was directing people who were turning past the Royal Hospital and it took around 15 minutes to get around the corner.”

    The man has been medically assessed, police say.

    The hospital says it is still operational despite the long showdown.

    A spokesperson said: “Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust can confirm that the Royal Liverpool Hospital on Prescot Street remains open to all patients and staff as usual today and are encouraging people to attend as normal.

    “Access to the hospital’s main entrance has been closed following Prescot Street being cordoned off in response to an ongoing police incident.

    “Whilst the incident is ongoing there will be minor disruption to access and services and the Trust would like to thank people for their patience and cooperation.

    “The Trust can confirm that the hospital remains fully operational. It is safe to attend the hospital with access the site via alternative entrances for people wishing to attend the Accident and Emergency Department, for appointments or visiting.

    “Please arrive as planned and you will be directed by onsite security through the hospital via alternative entrances.”

    A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: “We can confirm that a man has been detained and a firearm recovered following an incident at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital today, Thursday 4 November.

    “At around 10.20am, a man in his 60s was detained at the front of the location. He is being medically assessed.

    “Road closures will remain in place for a short time and please follow @LivHospitals for further updates for visitors, patients and staff.

    “Thank you for your patience and understanding.”

    The force confirmed earlier this morning that officers were initially called to the unit at 10.30pm on Wednesday.


    Previous articleEmma Corrin shoots Netflix's film adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover in Venice 
    Next articleStranger charged with abducting 4-year-old Australian girl


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here