Motsi Mabuse 'signs up for German stage tour at same time as Strictly'


Motsi Mabuse has reportedly signed up for a German stage tour at same time as Strictly Come Dancing will air this autumn.

The judge, 39, is reportedly still speaking to BBC bosses about her upcoming contract for the show which is due to begin filming in September and finish just before Christmas, according to The Sun. 

And the potential overlapping of the dancer’s schedule has reportedly caused panic at the BBC. 

Clash? Motsi Mabuse has reportedly signed up for a German stage tour at same time as Strictly Come Dancing will air this autumn

Clash? Motsi Mabuse has reportedly signed up for a German stage tour at same time as Strictly Come Dancing will air this autumn

As well as sitting on the panel for Strictly in the UK, Motsi – who lives in Frankfurt – is also a judge on the German version of the popular show which is called Let’s Dance and will be part of their upcoming theatre tour.

Posters produced for the tour show that it will be taking place throughout the entire month of November including on Saturday nights when Strictly airs.    

Motsi appears on the publicity posters and ticket website for the German tour alongside two other judges. 

Difficult: The judge, 39, is reportedly still speaking to BBC bosses about her upcoming contract for the show which is due to begin filming in September

Difficult: The judge, 39, is reportedly still speaking to BBC bosses about her upcoming contract for the show which is due to begin filming in September

The Sun understands that until recently she didn’t know if Strictly would renew her contract for this year. 

It comes after fellow Strictly judge Bruno Tonioli is reportedly set to miss the upcoming series due to the Covid pandemic.

The dancer, 65, who missed the last series due to his commitments on the judging panel for the US version Dancing With The Stars, has reportedly told pals he ‘can’t commit’ to the upcoming series.

Awkward: The potential overlapping of the dancer's schedule has reportedly caused panic at the BBC

Awkward: The potential overlapping of the dancer’s schedule has reportedly caused panic at the BBC 

Bruno appeared on last year’s Strictly via video link after being unable to return to the UK during the Covid crisis, and has previously travelled across the Atlantic to simultaneously film both shows.

In reference to both Bruno and Motsi, a TV source told The Sun: ‘Producers have been pulling their hair out as they struggle to get all of their judges in the right place for the live shows.  

‘Motsi’s fans in Germany are buying show tickets expecting to see her live.

‘Pre-Covid it was easy for talent to jet in and out of the UK for the night, but with travel restrictions it’s much harder.’

The source added that producers want to avoid relying too much on video links, especially as they’re paying big money for talent and that it’s a real ‘schedule clash’. 

A BBC spokeswoman said: ‘Motsi will be doing the next series, we will be working out the schedule as we have done in the past.’ 

Motsi missed two weeks of last year’s Strictly Come Dancing after she had to isolate due to an emergency trip to Germany – with Anton Du Beke stepping in to cover the role.

Busy: As well as sitting on the panel for Strictly in the UK (pictured), Motsi - who lives in Frankfurt - is also a judge on the German version of the popular show which is called Let's Dance

Busy: As well as sitting on the panel for Strictly in the UK (pictured), Motsi – who lives in Frankfurt – is also a judge on the German version of the popular show which is called Let’s Dance

The dancer caught a flight after her dance school was ‘targeted’ and worked with police to ‘solve the crime’.

Bruno is reportedly set to miss the upcoming series after only appearing occasionally via video link last year. 

A source told The Sun: ‘Bruno can’t commit to both shows right now and is staying put in LA — it’s a better lifestyle there, with great weather, which is good for his health.

‘He earns close to £1 million a series in America, so he has to prioritise that.

Sad: It comes after fellow Strictly judge Bruno Tonioli (left) is reportedly set to miss the upcoming series due to the Covid pandemic

Sad: It comes after fellow Strictly judge Bruno Tonioli (left) is reportedly set to miss the upcoming series due to the Covid pandemic 

‘Of course, he’s still very much part of the Strictly family and is keen to appear on a video link several times through the series.’

MailOnline contacted representatives for Bruno Tonioli and Strictly Come Dancing for comment at the time.  

This will be the second series the judge has missed out on the dance competition.

Bruno was due to resume his panel duties on the semi-final last year but he and his bosses decided it would be safer for him to remain stateside and maintain his judging commitments on Dancing With The Stars.

The decision apparently meant facing a £125,000 pay cut from his reported £250,000 salary, and he instead appeared via satellite link.

Much-loved: This will be the second series the judge has missed out on the dance competition

Much-loved: This will be the second series the judge has missed out on the dance competition

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.