Strictly Come Dancing unveiled four new professional dancers on Monday.
One of them was South African Latin Champion Cameron Lombard, who has now candidly addressed his 2018 expulsion from a school in South Africa after he was ‘filmed during a violent altercation with a fellow pupil when he was 17 years old’.
Cameron, now 20, insisted he has ‘learned from’ the experience and ‘would react differently now’ if he found himself in the same situation.
Candid: New Strictly pro Cameron Lombard, 20, has now candidly addressed his 2018 expulsion from a school in South Africa
According to The Mirror, the attack was filmed by classmates and shared on social media over 1,000 times.
Addressing the incident, Cameron explained in a statement to MailOnline: ‘I reacted in completely the wrong way, and I realise that and regret it. I was a schoolchild when this happened and I’ve grown up a lot since then.’
He added: ‘I have learned from it and would react differently now. That’s not who I am, I’m a dancer, I’m not a fighter.’
According to the paper, the talented dancer was expelled from Cape Town’s South Peninsula High School in February 2018.
Honest: Cameron insisted he has ‘learned from’ the experience and ‘would react different now’ if he found himself in the same situation (pictured in June)
Police were called however no charges were made and the students resolved the matter between themselves.
Going into further detail about the clash, one of Cameron’s friends revealed that Cameron had been hospitalized by the young man involved the night before after an attempted mugging.
The next day, Cameron reacted in a way that was ‘totally out of character’ after the boy continued to taunt him at school.
They explained to MailOnline: ‘Cameron was 17 when the fight at school happened and had been hospitalised the night before after being attacked by the other boy and his friends, who tried to rob him.
Cameron added: ‘I have learned from it and would react differently now. That’s not who I am, I’m a dancer, I’m not a fighter’ (pictured after winning DanceSport South Africa in 2019)
‘When the boy taunted him the next day in the school playground, Cameron reacted in a way that was totally out of character for him and he completely regrets.’
Cameron’s friend went on: ‘The police were contacted about both boys’ actions but no charges were upheld and instead the boys resolved it between themselves.
‘Cameron was expelled which he was devastated about but he finished his studies in another school.
‘After that he opened his own dance school in Cape Town to teach and mentor young dancers and share his passion for dance.’
Cameron has won eighteen national titles across Ballroom and Latin during his decorated dance career.
He started competing aged 6, and within a year he was already winning local and regional competitions.
In 2012 he was a finalist on South Africa’s Got Talent and in 2019 he represented South Africa at the World Championships.
Of joining Strictly, Cameron said: ‘Thank you Strictly Come Dancing for this life changing opportunity. Not only is this a dream come true but a challenge I am accepting with both hands.
Welcome! Other professional dancers unveiled by the BBC this week alongside Cameron include Jowita Przystal, 26, Nikita Kuzmin, 23, and Kai Widdrington, 25
Thank you: Of joining Strictly, Cameron said: ‘Thank you Strictly Come Dancing for this life changing opportunity’
‘I am excited beyond imagination and looking forward to leaving my mark on the dance floor!’
Other professional dancers unveiled by the BBC this week include Jowita Przystal, 26, Nikita Kuzmin, 23, and Kai Widdrington, 25.
The line-up of Strictly professionals was left thinner for this year after Anton Du Beke, 54, stepped into a judging role and Janette Manrara, 37, decided to leave in order to host the spin-off show.
Departed: The Strictly line-up was left thinner for this year after Anton Du Beke (left) stepped into a judging role and Janette Manrara (right) decided to leave the show