The Duke of Sussex, who quit royal duties last year with Meghan Markle, will appear alongside other royals in a new BBC One tribute film to Prince Philip. The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh’s children and his adult grandchildren – including Harry – are among more than a dozen members of the Royal Family who have taken part in the one-hour programme.
Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers airs on Wednesday September 22 at 9pm on BBC One and features interviews filmed both before and after his death in April.
The BBC said the programme would feature “poignant recollections, plenty of humour and numerous fresh insights into the character and legacy of this royal pioneer”.
It was originally planned to mark Philip’s 100th birthday in June, but the Queen’s beloved husband died two months before his centenary.
Her Majesty has not been interviewed for the programme.
Neither has the Duchess of Sussex, who is living in California with Harry and their two children.
Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Prince William, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and Zara Tindall are among royals who appear in the film.
The documentary-makers went inside Buckingham Palace to meet Philip’s long-serving staff and to capture his study, private office and library as they were during his seven decades of public service.
They were also granted access to the Queen’s private cine-film collection.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES ON THE ROYAL FAMILY:
7.40am update: Charlene speaks out for first time following emergency hospital visit
Princess Charlene of Monaco has returned to the social media stage following a health scare last Wednesday.
The royal is dedicated to her charity work and despite a recent stint in hospital took to Instagram to share some important news.
She returned to Instagram Stories to promote a new charitable initiative run by her very own charity, the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation.
7.35am update: Meghan and Harry have ‘offer to make’ to Queen about Lilibet christening
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry reportedly want a “sit down” meeting with the Queen, to discuss conducting Lilibet Diana’s christening service in London.
Harry and Meghan are allegedly “hoping to discuss” their daughter Lilibet Diana’s christening plans with the Queen, according to a royal commentator.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed their daughter on June 4, and are reportedly hoping to conduct her christening service in London.
Christina Garibaldi told the Royally Us podcast: “Something else that is interesting, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly want a sit down with the Queen and they’re hoping to discuss having Lilibet’s christening in London.
“This is a rumoured report, who knows if it’s exactly true, but it’s an offer that they want to make to the Queen. Who knows if she’ll accept?”
7.30am update: Diana helped bring Royal Family into 21st Century
Princess Diana was the catalyst for change that helped make the Royal Family fit for purpose in the 21st Century, according to her friend Joan Collins.
Writing in People magazine, the actress said: “I think she brought the royal family into the 21st century. She was extremely modern.
“She was the first person to hold the hands of AIDS patients and walk along the road where there had been landmines. There wasn’t anyone else like her.”