UFC chief Dana White labels Dustin Poirier 'smart' for taking trilogy fight against Conor McGregor


Dana White labels Dustin Poirier ‘smart’ for taking trilogy fight against Conor McGregor over the chance to compete for UFC lightweight title, insisting the ‘kid’s worked hard his whole life to be in this position… that’s the fight you take’

  • White said Poirier was offered the chance to compete for UFC lightweight title
  • But he has passed on the title shot in favour of a third fight against McGregor
  • And UFC chief White has praised Poirier for that move, labelling him ‘smart’
  • Poirier knocked out the Irishman in the second round in January at UFC 257

UFC president Dana White has praised Dustin Poirier for taking on a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor rather than battling it out for the UFC lightweight title.

UFC earlier this week announced plans to crown a new 155-pound champion in the wake of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s retirement – and Michael Chandler is set to take on Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.

And White has confirmed that Poirier was offered the opportunity, but instead snubbed it as he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.

Dustin Poirier wants a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor as they look to settle the score

Dustin Poirier wants a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor as they look to settle the score

And White, speaking at the UFC 260 pre-fight press conference on Thursday, has since commended the American for his decision: ‘Dustin wants the rematch [with Conor McGregor]. 

‘That’s smart. That’s what he should do. He should take the rematch, take that fight. It’s a big fight for him.

‘Kid’s worked hard his whole life, his whole career to be in a position like this. That’s the fight you take. 

‘We’ve been in positions like this before with others who have made the mistake of not taking that fight, and [it was the] biggest mistake of their lives.’

UFC president Dana White praised Poirier's decision to take another fight with McGregor

UFC president Dana White praised Poirier’s decision to take another fight with McGregor

Poirier and McGregor are now tied at 1-1 with the American winning the rematch in January in the second round via a knockout at UFC 257.

That fight came more than six years since their first bout, which lasted less than two minutes in September 2014 when The Notorious won on the main card at UFC 178. 

And now with the trilogy fight set to go ahead, it is being scheduled for early July – according to reports in Georgia.

Journalist Giorgi Kokiashvili – who writes for UFC’s official partner in Georgia – posted on Twitter: ‘I don’t want to alarm you, but per Adjarasport TV and my sources, Poirier vs. McGregor 3 is being targeted for July 10th.’ 

Poirier overcame McGregor in the rematch in January via a second round knockout

Poirier overcame McGregor in the rematch in January via a second round knockout

The news comes after reports from ESPN earlier in the month claimed that any chances of the fight taking place in May have been dashed after an agreement between the two parties took longer than anticipated.

They also insisted there was no hope of the fight taking place in June either, with Brazilian Deiveson Figueiredo set to take on Brandon Moreno on the 12th of that month. 

‘There was once a hope McGregor-Poirier 3 fight would get done for May 15 but it’s taken longer than hoped/expected so they moved on from that a while ago, sources say,’ ESPN’s Ariel Helwani said. ‘Won’t happen on June 12 (Figueiredo-Moreno on that card), so latest hope is the July 10 card. We’ll see.’ 

Advertisement



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.