'We mean business!' EU citizens' group issues warning to UK – Brexit deal MUST be obeyed


    Speaking this week, the chairman of the Independent Monitoring Authority for the Citizens’ Rights Agreements (IMA) revealed any public body or Government department which breaks the agreement will be taken to court. Sir Ashley Fox, the head of the body launched to protect EU citizens’ rights, issued a threat to the Home Office this week. Sir Ashley also issued a call to EU citizens to report any infringements in order to take action and enact the body’s power.

    As well as threatening any department or body which has violated the withdrawal agreement, Sir Ashley also expressed his concern over the treatment of EU citizens at the border.

    Speaking to The Guardian, he said: “We are here and we mean business.

    “Our job is to uphold the rights of EU citizens protected under the withdrawal agreement.

    “That’s our job and that’s what we’ll do.

    “I am concerned at the treatment of those EU citizens of the border but I want more information before I say that we’re going to take any further action.”

    The body was set up in January in order to make sure of the full implementation of EU citizens’ rights under the withdrawal agreement.

    This includes the provision of social welfare and employment rights which the UK and EU agreed to.

    If needed, the body can launch a formal inquiry and can institute a judicial review.

    JUST IN: Brussels bullies put £200bn squeeze on Switzerland – trade row erupts

    Some UK nationals living in Spain, however, have experienced issues with their residency in the country.

    Under the withdrawal agreement, every UK nationals who can prove their residency is permitted full legal rights in Spain.

    Any resident who has residency before July 6, 2020, will have a green certificate which proves their legality in the country.

    On July 6, 2020, the Spanish government put forward a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) card scheme. 

    Any UK national who moved to Spain after July 6, must have a TIE card and all who have residency before January 1, 2021, have the right to apply for this documentation.

    If you live in Spain you must register yourself on the local town hall list.


    Previous articleCatherine Tyldesley pokes fun at her 'no make-up, no eyebrows' look in 'hormonal' throwback snap
    Next articleCDC tells businesses to 'end the hygiene theater'


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here