Meghan Markle mocked over stint on US Deal or No Deal
Meghan Markle has sat down for her first magazine interview since the death of Queen Elizabeth II. Speaking to Variety, the Duchess of Sussex opened up about how she and her husband Prince Harry are mourning the loss of the monarch, who Meghan deemed a “shining example” of female leadership. Queen Elizabeth’s death came just over a week after the Duchess spoke to The Cut, an offshoot of New York Magazine, for an interview that attracted a huge amount of controversy due to her comments about the Royal Family. Now, Meghan has “had time to reflect” on her remarks, something she talked about in her interview on Wednesday.
The Duchess was asked: “You’ve done two major interviews since returning to America — one with Oprah Winfrey and the other with New York Magazine, which some found to be snarky. What has it been like to open up about your life now?”
She responded: “The [New York Magazine] story was intended to support ‘Archetypes’ and focus on our projects. I’ve had some time to reflect on it. Part of me is just really trusting, really open — that’s how I move in the world. I have to remember that I don’t ever want to become so jaded that that piece of me goes away. So despite any of those things? Onward. I can survive it.”
Meghan went on to say Archetypes aims to look at nuances surrounding the women she interviews, striving for “candid, real conversations” that depict the layers and dynamics of the individual. She explained: “And that comes with a lot of pieces you can choose to include or not; I choose to include something that I feel is fair to them and also uplifting. And something we can all learn from.”
The Cut article centred around Meghan’s Spotify podcast, beginning with the Duchess revealing a thrilling “secret” to the journalist; that she’s about to rejoin Instagram, delving into her new life in Montecito with Harry and their two children, and painting a picture of the former actress’ hopes for the future.
READ MORE: Harry helped Meghan when she was ‘at worst point’ — ‘I was in a dire state’
Meghan sat down for an interview with Variety on Wednesday
Meghan spoke exclusively to The Cut in August
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are embroiled in mystery over the release of their Netflix docuseries. The show had reportedly been scheduled for release within weeks of Season 5 of The Crown on November 9, but reports are now conflicting over whether this will go ahead.
Read more HERE.
However, amongst the podcast promotion and description of a glamorous California lifestyle, were veiled digs at the Sussexes’ past life in Windsor. At one point, Meghan said that she and Harry were “happy” to leave the UK and were “upsetting the dynamic of the hierarchy… just by existing” before they stepped down as senior royals and moved to North America.
She later claimed she was making an effort to “forgive”, telling journalist Allison P Davis: “I think forgiveness is really important. It takes a lot more energy to not forgive. But it takes a lot of effort to forgive. I’ve really made an active effort, especially knowing that I can say anything.”
The report claimed Meghan discussed how two families had been “torn apart” by the tensions within the Royal Family. And it quotes Meghan as saying: “Harry said to me: ‘I lost my dad in this process.’ It doesn’t have to be the same for them as it was for me, but that’s his decision.”
Many interpreted this as an insult to King Charles III, with the Daily Mirror’s Russell Myers accusing the couple of throwing Charles’ olive branch “back in his face”.
Meghan spoke about life after leaving the Firm
He told an episode of Pod Save The Queen (now Pod Save The King): “The very fact that Meghan says this quote, [‘Harry said to me, “I lost my dad in this process”’]… anyone who would tell you how the Prince of Wales loves his sons would say he loves both of sons equally.
“I know for a fact that he [Charles] has offered them [Harry and Meghan] a place to stay, he has produced an olive branch to them, he has wanted to bring them close, he has tried to make instances to see them and I just think it’s being thrown back in his face.”
However, others claimed the quote had been misinterpreted to mean that Harry somehow “lost” his relationship with Charles, but in fact referenced Meghan’s estranged relationship with her own dad, Thomas Markle.
Royal reporter and co-author of ‘Finding Freedom’ Omid Scobie clarified the meaning behind the quote, explaining Harry was referring to Meghan losing her dad in this process and Meghan was saying she didn’t want him to as well.
Meghan and Harry stepped down from their roles in the Royal Family in 2020
He tweeted: “There seems to be confusion in some headlines about this quote in The Cut interview. I understand that Prince Harry is actually referring to Meghan’s loss of her own father and Meghan is saying she doesn’t want Harry to lose his.”
Meghan and Harry visited the UK just a few days after The Cut article was published. It was reported that the couple had no plans to reunite with the UK-based royals during their visit.
However, on September 8, the last full day of their trip, everything changed when Queen Elizabeth II died. The Sussexes joined the Royal Family for several events to mark the loss of Britain’s longest-serving monarch.
They stayed for the duration of the national mourning period, attending the state funeral and committal service, before heading back to the US to be reunited with their young family.
Meghan Markle admitted she has a ‘food fixation’ on podcast [INSIGHT]
Who is your favourite member of the Royal Family? [POLL]
Prince Harry ‘obsessed’ with staying relevant over Prince George [REVEALED]
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex joined other royals in mourning the loss of Elizabeth II
They left the day after the Queen’s state funeral
Speaking to Variety about the weeks since the Queen passed, Meghan said: “There’s been such an outpouring of love and support. I’m really grateful that I was able to be with my husband to support him, especially during that time. What’s so beautiful is to look at the legacy that his grandmother was able to leave on so many fronts.
“Certainly, in terms of female leadership, she is the most shining example of what that looks like. I feel deep gratitude to have been able to spend time with her and get to know her. It’s been a complicated time, but my husband, ever the optimist, said: ‘Now she’s reunited with her husband.’”
The Duchess’ reflection on her past comments comes amid reports that she and Harry are attempting to edit their major media projects in a bid to cut back on references to the Royal Family. Their at-home style Netflix docuseries, which Meghan confirmed in her recent interview, and the Prince’s highly-anticipated memoir have reportedly been in the works for a long time.
Reports in the US entertainment outlet Page Six claimed the couple “are making a dramatic u-turn on their upcoming projects in the wake of the Queen’s death” and later that, according to an anonymous Netflix source, “they’ve made significant requests to walk back content they themselves have provided”.
Meghan reflected on her first official engagement
However, other sources have offered a somewhat contradictory perspective, telling The Telegraph: “There seems to be a big misconception that they need or want to turn the project on its head.
“There are always edits being made, but that’s how it works — people give notes, sometimes edits are made if there’s time before a deadline.”
Speaking about the documentary publicly for the first time, Meghan said: “It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it. But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
It remains unknown when the series will hit TV screens, some have suggested it could be as early as November, others have claimed it will be released next year.