The Times has found that the home secretary told France she may withhold the £54 million promised in a furious retaliation to the small number of people stopped by France. In July, the home secretary had to defend her decision to pay the UK’s neighbours the large sum to keep migrants from reaching English waters.
Defending her decision, Ms Patel told the Commons home affairs committee the French authorities were “doing their bit”.
However, new reports reveal that it is thought the UK has seen a record number of people crossing the Channel to British shores on Monday.
If confirmed, this will surpass the last record set on August 21 which saw 828 migrants crossing to UK waters.
It is thought at least 1,000 people made the journey from France to Britain.
READ MORE: Le Pen’s French ‘national pride’ will limit Channel crossings
“It’s payment by results and we’ve not yet seen those results.
“The money is conditional.”
If the daily number of crossings on Monday are confirmed, it will take the total number of crossings this year to over 13,500, compared to the 8,420 crossings last year.
The £54 million deal with France to double patrols was struck on July 21.
More than 3,500 migrants have been prevented from reaching British shores, but France has stopped half of that number, according to the Home Office.