On Friday, Kensington Palace released details about the highly anticipated royal event. A statement revealed that Prince Harry and Prince William will be attending the event alongside “close family of Diana, Princess of Wales, members of the statue committee, the sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, and garden designer Pip Morrison”.
Neither Kate Middleton or Meghan Markle were mentioned in the statement which suggests that they will not be attending the unveiling.
The event has been drastically scaled back from its original 100-plus guest list due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Kate’s possible absence at the unveiling will be seen as a blow to those who were hoping she would help heal the rift between Harry and William.
Earlier this month, a royal source told the Mirror: “The Duchess has seen this project evolve from its conception and now to the finished article and undoubtedly wants to be there to support her husband.
READ MORE: Kate Middleton ‘rejects royal fashion’ and ‘modifies monarchy’
The statue will be unveiled at the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on what would have been Diana’s 60th birthday – July 1, 2021.
On Friday, Harry reportedly returned to the UK from his home in California.
His wife Meghan is said to have stayed in the US with their two children – Archie and Lilibet.
The Duke of Sussex previously return to Britain in April for his grandfather Prince Philip’s funeral.