Molly was adopted by Yvonne Porter, 57, who fell in love with the pup after her mother died in 2012. The West Midlands woman was one of thousands to apply to rescue the puppy, who was taken in by an animal rescue charity.
Now, after years of recovery and love, the dog has recovered.
Sharing her heartwarming rescue story, Ms Porter said Molly helped her grieve for her mum, and gave her something to focus on.
She said: “My mum just went to bed and never woke up.
“She’d had a bad heart since she was a little girl, but I took her death really hard and was suffering with depression.
“I was away for work when I got a phone call from my dad crying. I thought my cat had died, but my boyfriend told me it was my mum.
“Molly was the best thing that happened because I had to focus on something.”
The puppy was rescued by Soi Dog Foundation, an animal rescue charity operating in Phuket, Thailand, which is run by a British couple.
At just six weeks old, Molly was covered in hot oil, leaving her severely burned on her face and legs.
Ms Porter told Birmingham Live it cost £700 to pay for Molly’s spaying, injections, vet bills and transport to England.
After five months in care, in 2015 the dog was flown over to the Netherlands and caught a ferry to Harwich in Essex before meeting her new owners.
READ MORE: Emma Raducanu row: ITV’s Adil Ray sparks huge backlash
Ms Porter told Birmingham Live that, after adopting the puppy in May 2014, Molly struggled to adjust.
She said in 2016: “It took a lot of patience to train her to walk and not run away, though she may never be right.
“She’s still very timid and petrified of noisy children, sudden movements and especially bikes and pushchairs.
“I think it’s the wheels she hates – we think someone at a street vending stall in Thailand may have thrown the oil over her.
“Everyone said I was mad to get a dog from Thailand and said it would have been much easier getting one from the Midlands, but I fell in love with Molly and she’s worth every penny getting her here. You can spend £700 on a pedigree dog, anyway.”
In 2021, Ms Porter gave an update on Molly, and said you can’t get the pup out of the pub.
She said: “There were times where I thought ‘Jesus, what have I done?’. I’d never had a rescue and at times it was really hard.
“She was such a scared little puppy. The first two nights she howled so loud you must have heard her miles away.
“She wouldn’t sleep and was walking around all night and scratching. We couldn’t get near her, and she made no eye contact with us at all.
“Slowly each day she came closer to us, and one night while we were watching TV, we heard a scratch at the door and she just came in and sat on the sofa opposite us but still wouldn’t look at us.
“It was a big step and I could have cried! From that day she started to bloom.”